Page 1 of 1
Posted: 09 Dec 2008, 12:30
Aeon
I'm trying to figure out what causes this: sometimes when the AI is taking a turn, and it can be a steep turn or a shallow turn, it doesn't seem to matter, sometimes the AI decides when driving into the turn to drive straight into the outer wall instead of following the AI line. Now, there are no height changes involved here, so they're not in the air, and these cars are capable of taking sharp 90 degree turns without slowing down if you aim them right.

So I don't get it. Its like the AI's brain randomly switches off sometimes and they just decide they're going to go straight instead of turning. Is there something in the AI lines that causes this? I'd really like to know.

Oh, and this usually happens when the AI is going pretty fast - but still, I can turn with no trouble at those speeds, so I don't know why the AI randomly decides not to half the time.

Posted: 29 Jan 2009, 05:48
rickyd
You have to tell them to slow or they dont have time
to read the A.I. nods.
So they go full speed off the track.
Hope that helps you.
CU
:D

Posted: 29 Jan 2009, 12:06
Aeon
No, actually I found the cause for this in the Cosmo City thread. It seems that when a car is traveling at significant velocity, it will attempt to anticipate its future location and, when the location that it anticipates itself to be at is outside of the AI nodes, the AI will simply shut off and the car will drive straight into the wall.

The simple solution to this problem is to extend the AI node boundaries much further than the actual track, so that the AI always anticipates its future position within the nodes. I've changed a lot of the AI lines on POD-car tracks to work like this and the AI handles MUCH better.

If you don't understand what I mean, download Cosmo City either here or from RVZT and look at how the AI nodes are placed. To be sure, ANY track that is intended for fast cars should have its nodes setup this way.

Posted: 30 Jan 2009, 00:29
rickyd
O that interesting I will look at this track thanks.
I know you should set the A.I. nods wide as you can
so the cars are in the A.I. nods even when off the
race line.
But I have seen the A.I. cars leave the A.I. zone
and drive back to the zone. They know where the
nods are even if there not in them.
COOL stuff how this all works thats what keeps me
loving this old game.
If you could not make cars and track for re-volt
I dont think I would still be playing it.
If you find any more interesting A.I. tips be sure
to let us all know.
Keep re-volting its good for the sole.
C U :huh: :rolleyes: