Page 1 of 1
Posted: 03 Dec 2008, 02:23
Cat
How to fix the problem that makes RWD cars go out of control when turbo battery is used?

Posted: 03 Dec 2008, 02:36
Aeon
Give them more stability. More rear traction, redistribute more of their weight at the rear, softer suspension settings at the rear, lower rear ride height, etc... Or do the opposite for the front tires.

Posted: 04 Dec 2008, 00:46
zipperrulez
or just take the easy way out and dont make RWD's
:P

Posted: 04 Dec 2008, 00:59
Cat
zipperrulez @ Dec 3 2008, 04:16 PM wrote: or just take the easy way out and dont make RWD's
:P
4WD sucks, and FWD is just for hatchbacks and non-sporty cars

Posted: 04 Dec 2008, 02:08
Aeon
Cat @ Dec 3 2008, 11:29 AM wrote: 4WD sucks, and FWD is just for hatchbacks and  non-sporty cars
Spoken like someone who's ignorant! And don't insult my AWD hatchback Subie.

Each setup has its advantages and disadvantages.

FWD is good for stability and handling at lower speeds, which is why typically used for economy cars instead of sports cars. I wouldn't recommend it for sports cars because it makes the cars hard to turn at high speeds. However, on slippery and bumpy terrain, FWD can really improve the handling of a car, making it easier to steer and maintain control at the same time.

RWD is good for cars that need to take tight corners at high speeds. RWD cars can turn much more sharply, but they also tend to be squirrely and prone to losing control, depending on the weight distribution. RWD is good for fast road cars, but horrid for offroad conditions.

4WD is a good balance between the two - it turns more easily than FWD, but not as steeply as RWD, which can be good and bad. 4WD vehicles can lose control, but unlike RWD cars you can regain your control easily. But its when you take the vehicles offroad that the 4WD really shines, since they handle just as well as FWD cars but are more willing to turn when the track makes it necessary. Also, 4WD cars handle uphill slopes better than FWD or RWD cars.

Also, weight distribution can have a dramatic effect on the handling of a car, how sharply it turns and so forth. If you don't like FWD or 4WD cars because they don't turn sharply enough, try pushing more weight towards the front. If your RWD is turning TOO sharply, try pushing more weight towards the back. That's why a lot of really fast RWD cars are mid or rear engine, because turning to sharply at 200mph would be...bad.

Posted: 04 Dec 2008, 02:30
Cat
Aeon @ Dec 3 2008, 05:38 PM wrote: Spoken like someone who's ignorant! And don't insult my AWD hatchback Subie.
lol, sorry, maybe Initial D has made me love to death FR's. For "Subie", you mean you drive a Subaru Impreza? that's okay for 4WD.

Posted: 04 Dec 2008, 05:45
zipperrulez
Aeon @ Dec 3 2008, 09:38 PM wrote:
Cat @ Dec 3 2008, 11:29 AM wrote: 4WD sucks, and FWD is just for hatchbacks and  non-sporty cars
hahaha... so true

Posted: 04 Dec 2008, 06:14
Adamodell
Aeon @ Dec 3 2008, 09:38 PM wrote:

Each setup has its advantages and disadvantages.

FWD is good for stability and handling at lower speeds, which is why typically used for economy cars instead of sports cars. I wouldn't recommend it for sports cars because it makes the cars hard to turn at high speeds. However, on slippery and bumpy terrain, FWD can really improve the handling of a car, making it easier to steer and maintain control at the same time.

RWD is good for cars that need to take tight corners at high speeds. RWD cars can turn much more sharply, but they also tend to be squirrely and prone to losing control, depending on the weight distribution. RWD is good for fast road cars, but horrid for offroad conditions.

4WD is a good balance between the two - it turns more easily than FWD, but not as steeply as RWD, which can be good and bad. 4WD vehicles can lose control, but unlike RWD cars you can regain your control easily. But its when you take the vehicles offroad that the 4WD really shines, since they handle just as well as FWD cars but are more willing to turn when the track makes it necessary. Also, 4WD cars handle uphill slopes better than FWD or RWD cars.

Also, weight distribution can have a dramatic effect on the handling of a car, how sharply it turns and so forth. If you don't like FWD or 4WD cars because they don't turn sharply enough, try pushing more weight towards the front. If your RWD is turning TOO sharply, try pushing more weight towards the back. That's why a lot of really fast RWD cars are mid or rear engine, because turning to sharply at 200mph would be...bad.
Well, I guess you are right on all that. I'm not a fan of 4WD since everyone defaults to it on their cars. I prefer RWD because I feel it has much more personality, but, it really fails on anything dirty or icy.

Posted: 04 Dec 2008, 07:07
Aeon
Adamodell @ Dec 3 2008, 04:44 PM wrote: Well, I guess you are right on all that. I'm not a fan of 4WD since everyone defaults to it on their cars. I prefer RWD because I feel it has much more personality, but, it really fails on anything dirty or icy.
Most people who make custom cars ignore everything except engine ratio, top speed and tire grip.

I doubt most people even know what 90% of the parameters do.