Page 1 of 1
Posted: 19 Nov 2008, 06:10
Aeon
I'd been having a problem running Re-Volt for some time, since after running for a while it would inevitably freeze and I'd have to restart my computer and go through a bunch of nonsense...

Recently however, the problem was expanding outside of Re-Volt into other processor intensive programs, which were also beginning to freeze my computer. It even got to the point where my computer was freezing loading up web sites, so I decided I needed to crack down on this problem and find out what was wrong.

After some recommendations, I opened up my BIOS and looked at the CPU temperature: 100+ Celsius. Researching further, anything higher than 70 is conisdered BAD. So I flopped my computer down on its side and took a close up look at my motherboard, and, poking around with a flashlight, I realized that, while the CPU fan was working just fine, everything below it was caked solid with about a 1/8th inch of dust. So I unscrewed the fan and vacuumed the heck out of my heat sink and some other spots, and put everything back together.

Now my CPU temperature is a contented 45 degrees Celsius and I haven't had any freezing problems since. Yay!

Posted: 19 Nov 2008, 07:01
Adamodell
Aeon @ Nov 19 2008, 01:40 AM wrote: I'd been having a problem running Re-Volt for some time, since after running for a while it would inevitably freeze and I'd have to restart my computer and go through a bunch of nonsense...

Recently however, the problem was expanding outside of Re-Volt into other processor intensive programs, which were also beginning to freeze my computer. It even got to the point where my computer was freezing loading up web sites, so I decided I needed to crack down on this problem and find out what was wrong.

After some recommendations, I opened up my BIOS and looked at the CPU temperature: 100+ Celsius. Researching further, anything higher than 70 is conisdered BAD. So I flopped my computer down on its side and took a close up look at my motherboard, and, poking around with a flashlight, I realized that, while the CPU fan was working just fine, everything below it was caked solid with about a 1/8th inch of dust. So I unscrewed the fan and vacuumed the heck out of my heat sink and some other spots, and put everything back together.

Now my CPU temperature is a contented 45 degrees Celsius and I haven't had any freezing problems since. Yay!
There was a time Re-Volt kept crashing for me... that normally happens when I'm listening to music in FLAC format, the decompression of a lossless format while playing a game can make RV somewhat unstable! Well it hasn't crashed since... like July for me, lol...