Page 1 of 1
Posted: 18 Nov 2008, 16:23
Aeon
I was fiddling around with my POD cars on hilaire's track "Ultra Glide" (at RVZT). Ultra Glide is more fun with POD cars than most because its a little easier to stay on the track at high speed, while most of these kinds of tracks use too many sharp height changes and you end up flying through space half the time.

So while I was racing around on that track, I was thinking about the game Extreme-G, if anyone's ever played that. In Extreme-G, you're basically glued to the track unless you go off a jump, so regardless of how fast you're going (900mph+), you never fly off the track unless its due to really poor driving.

With that in mind, I decided to try putting one big huge farce field in Ultra Glide, pointing down and with a mag value of 5000 (which should be about twice an average car's weight, I believe). I found that cars with a weight of around 2.0 work best, but man, its fun! Blazing through Ultra Glide at 60+ mph, able to stay glued to the track 98% of the time, and with more speed variations due to height changes, its really engaging. Its weird to be able to fly through the entire track at those speeds, without braking, and only hitting the walls if you aim wrong.

Which isn't to say I want to discourage braking, but with the car I was using, I didn't need it.

I'm going to try this on some other tracks now, since I'm thinking it'll make those tracks which were previously unsuitable for cars of such speed more able to handle it. Of course, the AI still sucks because they slow down everywhere, and that'll need to be changed...

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Has anyone else ever fiddled with this idea?

Posted: 18 Nov 2008, 18:50
jaseaka
wow that is cool. maybe a ultraglide 2.0 :)

Posted: 19 Nov 2008, 04:15
zagames
Hehe, actually, yes. On one of my (lost) track projects, I had a segment of track that rotated upside-down (corkscrewed) and used many farce fields to keep cars glued to the track. The way the follow-camera worked, however, slightly discouraged me from finishing the track.

Posted: 19 Nov 2008, 04:49
Aeon
Yeah, Re-Volt's camera limitations rule out a lot of cool stuff, like being able to drive upside down. :(